- This could mean reading to a member of the family or a neighbour who is isolating.
- All parents need to do is ensure that they have a contact number for the person and agree a mutually convenient time to make the call, this could be daily or weekly.
- Your child can select what they would like to read from any of the books you have in your home.
- If reading daily they might like to choose a longer book or one with chapters such as the Jill Tomlinson series of book including The Owl who was afraid of the dark, traditional tales can be retold, such as ‘Three Little Pigs’.
- For older children they could read any of their favourite books such as the David Walliams series.
- It is important if reading using a phone rather than using FaceTime etc to choose a book which does not rely upon pictures to tell the story.
- Interesting and useful discussions can be had about why they have chosen a particular book to read.
- If they are reading to more than one isolated person, then they can read the same book to all of them.
- If you run out of books, your child could write their own story with your help and read these to the Silver Listener.
- If you do decide to take part please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your support!
“That story has made me smile, thank you for sharing it with me. I always look forward to my phone call on a Tuesday”
“…enable the children to realise that they are making a difference to the lives of the elderly members of our community.”
“The children are always so eager to share a story or poem with the elderly members of our community.”
“Not only does this project have a positive impact on our Silver Listeners but also there has been notable progress on the children’s confidence when reading aloud. Over time they have developed increasing fluency and the ability to capture the interest of the Listener by using expression in their voice.”
“Silver Stories is most definitely one of the highlights of my week.”
“It is a delight to hear the positive comments from our Silver Listeners after they have been read to. Comments such as ‘ Thank you. You have really made my day.’”
“I hope this project exists in years to come when I know I would gladly welcome a call and a story to make me smile!”
“The children leave the room with a beaming smile, full of pride, as they head back to their classroom.”